Town of Sterling Burn Permits

Apply for your online permit today.

    Login to Your Account


Don't forget to call!

Telephone: (978) 422-1287

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can obtain a burn permit?

Only residents living in approved areas can obtain a permit. Permits are conditional and may be revoked at any time.

How can I obtain a burn permit?

You may register online using this website, or you can go to the Fire Department Business Office at 5 Main Street, Sterling.

What can I burn?

You are allowed to burn: Brush, cane, driftwood and forestry debris (but NOT from commercial or industrial land clearing. Agricultural materials including fruit tree and bush pruning, raspberry stalks, and infected bee hives for disease control. Trees and brush from agricultural land clearing (Agricultural Permit Required). Fungus-infected elm wood, if no other acceptable means of disposal is available. The burning of any wood greater than 4 inches in diameter is strictly prohibited.

Do I need a permit?

If you want to have an open-air fire then yes, you need an approved permit. If you are having a cooking fire a permit is not required, but we ask that you notify us at 978-422-6633 so we are aware of such activity.

What do I do if I want to burn brush today?

Once you have a valid permit, you can activate it on the day you wish to burn by calling 978-422-1287